Backup and Archiving
The most significant backup and archiving challenge is that the systems and tools we have in place may be inefficient but are painful to replace. In addition, there’s simply too much data to back up and not all of it is essential to daily business operations.
Until now, it’s been easier to adapt operations to accommodate existing tools and procedures. Today, new software and hardware can revitalize your backup and archive system, but it’s important to define your strategy first:
- Recovery Time Objective (RTO): identify and prioritize mission-critical applications and determine how quickly those applications need to be recovered in an emergency.
- Recovery Point Objective (RPO): let business units determine backup frequency and schedule for each data type.
- Identify the available backup window and select a technology to achieve backup or restoration objectives.
- Identify data to be archived based on its value, and understand risk to the organization if data is lost.
- Develop policies and procedures to support your archiving goals and train users and administrators on the chosen archiving solution.
- Periodically check the performance of the solution. Don’t assume it works flawlessly, and remember that even the best-architected system degrades over time.
The best strategy is to seek independent, unbiased advice to help you identify needs, specify the solution, implement the system, and train users.
Get started with a free Discovery Session: A free evaluation by a Mosaic Data Management specialist can help you outline a backup and archiving initiative in terms of scope, timing, and budget.
Proven Backup and Archiving Technology
Mosaic works with you to plan, design, build, and implement a solution using the industry’s most trusted backup and archiving systems and software.
CommVault’s Simpana software is built on a single code base with application modules for Data Protection, Archive, Replication, Resource Management, and Search. This scalable approach lets you address your immediate needs while providing a long-term solution for archiving, managing, and accessing data. Learn more by downloading the free whitepaper: Unlocking the Value of Global Deduplication for Enterprise Data Management
Data Domain offers a comprehensive range of products to meet the nearline storage needs of enterprises of all sizes, reduce costs, and simplify data management. Data Domain systems support all leading enterprise backup and archiving applications for seamless integration into existing IT infrastructures.
ExaGrid offers a highly scalable disk-based backup system that works with your existing backup application and reduces the disk space required for backup by a range of 10 to 50:1, delivering unparalleled cost savings and performance at a fraction of the price of standard SATA disk storage.